Reopening Plan for Emanuel County Schools
Plan de reapertura para las escuelas del condado de Emanuel
Pautas para la apertura de escuelas el 3 de agosto de 2020 Las
The Emanuel County School District believes that in-person instruction is best for student learning while acknowledging that the threat of COVID-19 has challenged our ability to provide face to face instruction as our sole method for teaching children. We understand that anything less than a full-time, in-person school schedule strains many of our parents who have to go to work and cannot be home with their children. We also recognize that because of medically fragile students, at-risk family members, or other issues, some families may not be comfortable returning to a traditional classroom until a vaccine for COVID-19 is widely available, or risk of COVID-19 diminishes.
With that noted, for the 2020-2021 School Year, the district will offer our families the following options:
1) Traditional schooling, following guidelines based upon Georgia’s Path to Recovery for K-12 Schools that protect the health and well-being of students and staff as much as possible, or
2) Virtual learning from home, ECS Virtual Academy, emphasizing that the level of instruction and learning expectations will be equal to a traditional schooling environment.
The safety guidelines and plans set for our schools and facilities are based upon Georgia’s Path to Recovery for K-12 Schools. They are fluid and subject to change, as the safety of our students and staff is our top priority.
Please click here to read our guidelines for operating our schools as safe as possible.
After reading the precautions, if you remain uncomfortable with returning your child to a traditional classroom, you may opt to participate in our ECS Virtual Academy with the following stipulations:
- The ECS Virtual Academy model will rely on Edgenuity. Edgenuity provides an online curriculum and instructional services for K-12 schools. Edgenuity will provide video lessons that will teach students and provide an online tutor to assist with academic content difficulties. To learn more about Edgenuity’s online school curriculum experience, please visit their website HERE.
- Your commitment to the ECS Virtual Academy model will be for a minimum of one complete semester (two nine weeks) at the high school level. At the elementary and middle school levels, the commitment is for a minimum of one entire grading period (one nine weeks).
- Students will not be able to shift back and forth between traditional learning and the ECS Virtual Academy model during the respective grading periods.
- As noted on the previous page, the instructional level will be equal to a traditional classroom environment and much more rigorous than what was experienced this past spring. Because we were near the end of the school year, lessons and learning were focused more on review and at a slower pace. With the start of the new school year, instruction and learning will shift back to a more rigorous and faster-paced experience.
- Parents that opt to have their children learn from home, due to safety concerns, will not be permitted to participate in extracurricular school sports, clubs, and organizations.
PLEASE NOTE: We are scheduling all K-12 students in the traditional schooling model, expecting all students to return to school on August 3. If you plan to send your child(ren) to school in the traditional schooling model, no further action is required.
If you are planning on your child attending the ECS Virtual Academy, you must click on this LINK to enroll your child(ren). The deadline for registration is July 29, 2020.